Dr Joachim Ngiam: Multi-award-winning dental sleep practitioner who lectures locally and internationally about the treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA).
“With over 24 years’ experience, I’ve helped hundreds of people to reduce or eliminate their snoring and/or sleep apnoea. My treatment is safe, effective and painless; and for many of my patients it has completely changed their lives. It can change yours too. I look forward to meeting you.” ~ Dr Joachim Ngiam
Dr Joachim Ngiam graduated with honours in Dentistry from the University of Sydney and holds a Masters degree in Dentistry (Orthodontics) and a Masters degree in Medicine (Sleep Medicine).
He has an appointment as a Research Fellow at the Royal North Shore Hospital and is currently a PhD candidate at the University of Sydney with research interests focused on oral appliance therapy for the treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep apnoea. His PhD research includes investigations into the dose dependent effects of mandibular repositioning with mandibular advancement splints (MAS) in adults, and rapid maxillary expansion (RME) orthodontic treatment in the treatment of sleep disordered breathing (SDB) in children.
Dr Ngiam has been a consecutive recipient of the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM) Student Research Awards in 2011 and 2012. He has lectured extensively at national and international conferences and has several publications in peer reviewed orthodontic and sleep journals. He is currently Co-Chair of the Dental and Orofacial Special Interest Group (DOSIG) and is on several committees of the Australasian Sleep Association.
Dr Ngiam maintains a private practice focusing on orthodontics and dental sleep medicine.
- Co-Chair of the ASA Dental & Orofacial Special Interest Group (DOSIG) 2013
- Membership & Conference Committee Member of ASA, 2012 & 2013
- Committee Member of the Australasian Sleep Association ASA DOSIG, 2011 & 2012
- Student Research Award 2012 awarded by the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)
- Student Research Award 2011 awarded by the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)
- Rudolf Gunz University of Sydney Medal 1992
- Honours, Bachelor of Dental Surgery, University of Sydney 1992
Dr Jo in the News
- Medical Observer: Orthodontic technique to treat OSA in children
- eScience News: Novel device quantifies the efficacy of oral appliance therapy for snoring and sleep apnea
- Science Daily: Novel device quantifies the efficacy of oral appliance therapy for snoring and sleep apnea
- Sleep Review: Novel device quantifies the efficacy of oral appliance therapy
- Dental Plans: New oral device may provide relief for snorers and individuals with sleep apnea
When he’s not busy treating people with their snoring and sleep apnoea conditions, Dr Joachim Ngiam goes scuba diving and loves marine photography. Dr Joachim Ngiam is supported by a dedicated, friendly and professional team, which includes his wife, Terri Ngiam. The team’s goal is to make your visit as enjoyable as possible.
That’s Dr Joachim Ngiam’s story, what is yours? Make an appointment.